Monday, August 5, 2013

My Favorite Kitchen Seasonings!

I have an assortment of seasonings that are not the run of the mill, salt, pepper, garlic salt, etc.  Some I grew up with and others I have added over the past few years.  My husband and I love a little spicy kick in our food, as I think you will see ;-).
These are some of the seasonings I use on a regular basis.

Make sure to check out the yummy recipes at the bottom as well!
And some baby cuteness...always fun. :-)


I love a good seasoning.  Having some awesome seasonings that you love can make your meal planning and making SO much easier and faster! 
These are what we like.



As I said, my husband and I like it a little spicy.
I'd say at least two of these are used on a daily basis (in particular the N'Orlean's Cajun and Tony's Creole...yum, yum!)

So, on the spicy list, we have.
Franks RedHot
Weber, N'Orlean's Cajun
Stubb's Pork Spice Rub
(Stubb's BBQ is really good as well...not spicy- ;-) )
&
Tony Charcher's Creole Seasoning

Here is a closer look :-)

Yeah, I know it does take a pretty picture. As you can see it is hard to ever have a full bottle around here...it goes fairly fast. (we even add this to our pizza sometimes. SO GOOD!)

Our Favorite use for the BBQ rub is on Crock Pot Pork Shoulder. Simple,
not overwhelming, great flavor. 


Tony's Creole-says it is great on everything...I would have to agree, pretty much an awesome addition to any fish or meat for a little kick.

Spike. Such an awesome seasoning. I highly recommend this to be in every kitchen cabinet.  My favorite use has to be on chicken.  It was a regular (and as I put on the picture, family favorite) to have chicken and rice seasoned with spike growing up.  Another favorite use (especially as kids) was to melt a slice of cheese on toast and sprinkle a little spike on top.
(Give it a shot! You will thank me! ;-) )

This is a great seasoning for any type of pasta dish. Also terrific on fries!

Making a tuna salad or sandwich? Add some Mrs. Dash for some great flavor!
 (This is a Friday regular!)

Toronto Steak & Chicken Rub is the newest addition to our cabinet.
I used it this past weekend on a whole chicken (pictured below)...it was so good!!!!! 
My husband's immediate response after tasting the chicken "This is good, Babe! Really good!"

Here are some instagram pictures I took of a few of our meals from this past week.
 This chicken was pretty simple and we were very happy with the flavor!
I put half a bunch of garlic (4-5 some cloves) and one sliced apple inside, I then mixed butter, Toronto seasoning and just a little Creole and rubbed it onto the chicken underneath the skin (I also rubbed a little inside). I put a little water in the pan along with potatoes and carrots, and cooked in a 350 oven for about an hour and a half.  

This is fried flounder with green beans and corn.
I make my own batter to fry my meats and fish.  I have tried a few different things, and although the seasonings I use may vary (depending on what I'm going for),  this particular combination is great for fish, chicken or fried steak.
I use a flour mixture and an egg/milk mixture to make the yummy fried goodness.
The flour mixture most used is: flour, Cajun seasoning, Creole, garlic powder or salt (depends on how salty you want it), and sometimes a little spike (I use more spike when I am doing fried steak).
Egg mixture is just that, an egg with some milk (maybe 1c. to 1 egg).
 Have both mixtures (separately) in a big enough bowl or pan to lay flat.
Take the fish, put it in the egg and milk. Be sure it gets completely coated in it.
Then, do the same in the flour mixture. You may need to sprinkle it as you coat it in it as well.
Fry for at least 4 minutes (2 on each side-you can always test a piece, like I did, to make sure that it is enough time for it to completely cook)
 Serve with veggies and enjoy!
 

Hope you have a good week! 
Monday is over! Smile!





No comments:

Post a Comment